Wednesday, October 31, 2012

ADVENTURE TIME!




This year, we decided our Halloween theme would be Adventure Time (for those of you who are reading this and thinking, "What the hell is an Adventure Time?", it is a silly, highly addictive show on Cartoon Network about a human boy and his magical dog buddy who fight evil in the post-apocalyptic future.) I handmade nearly every single item we used and never touched my sewing machine or a pattern. It took about three weeks to complete everything.



Finn
Finn is the human boy and main character on this show. My son was the obvious choice for Finn and I'm so happy with how his costume turned out. The only things I made for this were Finn's white hat and his green backpack, both hand-sewn with fleece.





Jake
Jake is the magical dog. My daughter opted to be Jake (and then changed her mind, resulting in a failed attempt at a Lady Rainicorn costume, which she also refused to wear.) We finally, FINALLY convinced her to wear her Jake costume and, shockingly, she actually had fun in it! She wouldn't let me paint her face as we originally planned, otherwise I would have added to the headpiece. Oi, terrible twos! Jake is made from tan fleece with two separate pieces for the body and head. I had to add extensions on the legs, as Bella would not allow me to measure her. Again, terrible twos!

Ice King
The Ice King is the main "bad guy", as he likes to steal princesses and force them into marriage. Of course, Finn and Jake save the ladies each time, duh! Ice King's robe is made from blue fleece. Since I couldn't find a white wig or beard (small town living, I guess) I had to make them from yarn. 425 yards of yarn, to be exact. I made several small bunches, knotted them, and sewed them into either white fringed fleece or the foam crown I cut out. I'm not thrilled with the beard, as it came un-hemmed at the last possible second, so you can see all the knots.

 
 Marceline
Marceline the Vampire Queen is one of Finn and Jake's good friends. She's quite the badass and enjoys rocking out on her axe bass. There really wasn't anything to this costume, as I used clothes I already owned and swiped on some face paint and black hair spray. My fangs would not stay in so that was a bit of a fail. For the axe bass, I cut it from foam board, painted it, and threaded in some jewelry wire for the strings.



Lumpy Space Princess
LSP is the princess of Lumpy Space. Think Valley girl meets chain smoker. She is our favorite character and through a magical twist of fate, my husband can do the perfect impression of her (YouTube her if you've never heard her. Greatest. Thing. Ever.) We knew we had to have an LSP but didn't have another person. I made a plush toy of her instead. I used various types of fleece and this was probably the biggest pain in the butt out of all the pieces I made. I couldn't get her very round and she is quite uneven. However, LSP now makes the perfect pillow.

  
All in all, I'm very pleased with the final results. We had a blast on our city's Halloween night and we got a ton of compliments. We're already brainstorming next year's costumes!


1 comment: